Hi Automattic! 👋🏻
I’m Mac McCormick and I’m hoping to be your next senior product designer.
Why am I a Good Fit?
I made a video to share with you why I would be a great add to the Automattic design team here:
More About Me
I feel just as comfortable facilitating a user interview as I do prototyping in Figma. And I feel just as capable writing HTML and CSS as I do helping craft a robust design system. While I’m proud of my wide ranging design skill set, I think my greatest talent as a designer is the ability to bring a sense of shared understanding to a team.
Whether it’s through facilitating discussions or delivering design artifacts, I equip the teams that I work with to put together great products.
“Mac is one of the best designers I know when it comes to communicating and collaborating with a team.“
– Will Guldin (Senior Product Designer @ Heap.io)
I’ve gotten to spend the last three years doing product design fully remote with BriteCore. At BriteCore, I was one of the first designers hired onto the team and was eventually promoted to lead the team. This has given me the opportunity to help define out every piece of the design process from consistent design critiques to a productive user research practice.
With BriteCore, I’ve also been able to design and build a SAAS insurance claims processing application from scratch. A claims application has lots of moving pieces and includes things like accounting functionality, task tracking functionality and contact / vendor management. It was a huge undertaking and the project really helped me grow as a designer.
Before BriteCore, I got to design online shopping experiences for clients like Rockport, Ole Henriksen and Coldwater Creek. I’ve launched a user research practice for an eCommerce company and also designed their SAAS cross border shipping solution. I’ve gotten to build blogs and internal systems for groups like Proctor & Gamble.
I’ve also had the pleasure and privilege to design and build sites for international non-profits like Project | SEARCH. These are my favorite kinds of projects to work on and I actively seek out the opportunity to do design work with non-profits outside of my day job.
I decided to become a designer because I wanted to use my talents to make life easier and more enjoyable for others. I think good design, no matter the scale, can spread joy to those who experience it.
I would be thrilled to contribute to Automattic’s mission to make the web a better place. I hope you will consider me for the role. 🖤
- Fully designed a SAAS insurance claims processing application from top to bottom
- Reworked the typographic hierarchy for BriteCore’s entire suite of applications
- Leading a highly productive product design team (4 designers, 1 frontend engineer)
- Built and maintain BriteCore’s design system (In Figma and in Vue.JS)
- Part of team that spearheaded creation of user research practice for BriteCore
- Lean UX by Jeff Gothelf
- Radical Candor by Kim Scott
- Org Design for Design Orgs by Kristin Skinner and Peter Merholz
- Presenting Work With Confidence, workshop by Mike Monteiro
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- A perfectly brewed cup of iced coffee ☕️